Wednesday 4 May 2022

hiao5 嬲

I have promised I would put together a list regarding the meaning of hiao5. Here is the list!

Do listen to A'bêh4 阿伯 saying "hiao5si2"! He also says this phrase at the end of the video.

hiao5

to go courting

冶遊冶游

hiao5

pleasure, thrill, delightful, joy,

快感

hiao5

a joke

玩笑

hiao5

to play (as children do)

玩耍

hiao5

interesting, fun, delightful

趣味

The above hiao5 has the same meaning as cu3bhi7

cu3bhi7 趣味

interesting, fun, delightful

qu4wei4 趣味

hiao5

to be confused or be baffled

一頭霧水一头雾水

hiao5

strange, odd

奇怪

hiao5si2 嬲死

very strange

很奇怪

 I leave you to think which of the above hiao5 A'bêh4 is referring to. 

Here is another example and if you were to watch this video, you would be able to follow the conversation.

哪裡哪裡

You are too kind, you are flattering me

M6 dua7 se6 唔大事

No big deal

不過拿它解解悶罷了

Merely taking it to relieve boredom, that is all.

Gai5 muêh8 si6 bho5se7 zai6 tion2 hiao5 gai7 個物是無事在睇嬲個

I have not translated the last Teochew sentence and I leave you to think what is the meaning of this hiao5. 

No comments: