Tuesday 17 May 2022

Haibing ZuoLu What is Haibing ZuoLu

You would have heard songs and read writing which have mentioned Haibing Zuolu 海濱鄒魯.

I have asked people for the meaning of Haibing Zuolu and all I get in reply is a series of confusing answers.

Here is what I have found out.

Hai2bing1 Zou1lu2

海濱鄒魯|海滨邹鲁

Hai2bing1 Zou1lu2 海濱鄒魯 is DioIon 潮陽 the birthplace of Teochew culture, and mentioned by a poet Chen Yaozuo 陳堯佐 from the Northern Song Dynasty period, in which he wrote “送王生及第歸潮陽” "Send Wang Sheng and Di to Chaoyang"

Hai2bing1 Zou1lu2 海濱鄒魯


汕頭話 Swatow Uê

揭陽話 Gig’Ion

English

hai2bing1 海濱|海滨

hai2biang1 海濱|海滨

sea shore, seaside

I know many people make jokes about Dioion people and their accent. I first heard a DioIon nang speaking when my mother was talking to fellow Teochew person. Instead of saying le2 for you, she said lu2. 

And people use huai2 to describe Dio'Ion accent. Huai2 is NOT bad as in the Mandarin 壞.

Dio5ion5 Uê7 guê3 huai3 潮陽話怪侉

Dio’Ion Uê has a very heavy accent.

潮陽話帶著很濃的口音

Dio5ion5 dan3 Uê7 piang1 iu2 huai2 潮陽呾話偏有侉

Dio’Ion speaks with a heavy accent.

 

I wrote down the above from what I have heard. 

Huai2 here means long5 濃 as in strong [concentrated] or heavy. 

Have you noticed the u6  has become a iu2? 

No wonder so many people find it impossible to learn Teochew. However, Teochew is our mother tongue and we can pick these up very quickly. 

I now know that the closest to Middle Chinese is DioIon Uê , where as someone like me speaking Swatow Uê is really a johnny come lately. 

So, do not give our DioIon cousins an inferiority complex and make jokes about their accents. We all speak different, and we all have different accents. Let us celebrate our diversity. 

You should know 李子光  Li Ze Guang who sings beautifully. Well he is from DioIon! I know he sings without a DioIon accent and this is because he is a professionally trained singer. 

No comments: