Monday, 9 May 2022

Vernacular Teochew - sam ba li liang

 You can hear “tang3rig8 sam ba li liang” being said in this video and what does “sam ba li liang” mean? 

This is vernacular Teochew and any characters can be used for this phrase.

“tang3rig8 sih8 buh4 sah8 nah4” has the same meaning as “tang3rig8 sam ba li liang”

Tang3rig8 暢日|畅日 means the whole day.

Or one can say “tang3rig8 zo3 m6zian3gêng1 se6 暢日做唔正經事|畅日做唔正经事” – whole day doing improper things.

If I have to assign characters to “sam ba li liang”, what characters would I choose? I would choose for sam1 ba2 li2 liang2 三飽理臉|三饱理脸 – three times full and managing one’s reputation!

sam1 三 is the bhung5ri7 (official) pronunciation for 3

ba2 飽 means to have eaten until full

li2 理 means to manage

liang2 臉 means reputation [In Mandarin 臉 means face but for us face is ming7 面]

No comments: