Saturday 12 March 2022

Useful words for the kitchen

I heard Iab Hui using the adjective hu1 today and I thought I should list all the adjectives I know which are used in the kitchen.

ni5 paste

ou7ni5 芋泥

yam paste

 

seng3ni5 蒜泥

garlic paste

hu1 麩|麸 powdered form

dao7ring5 hu1 豆仁麩|豆仁麸

ground peanuts

bhuah8 finely chopped

tih4bou2 bhuah8  鰈鯆末

ground fish

co3  chopped

nêg8co3 脞 Chinese equivalent rou4jiang4 肉醬

minced pork

liab8 diced

Chinese equivalent ding1

small pieces

si1 絲|丝 julienned

gion1si1 薑絲|姜丝

julienne of ginger

go3 塊|块 piece of

Chinese equivalent kuai4 塊|块

pin3 slices of

Chinese equivalent pian4

thin slice of

poh4

dê5poh4 茶粕  Chinese equivalent cha2 zha1 茶渣

tea dregs


If I have missed any, please comment and let us all learn together. 

Do notice that we put the adjective at the end of the word just like the Irish word galore - there are cards galore - i.e. there are lots of cards. 

No comments: