Monday 28 March 2022

Mandarin vs Teochew Grammar

 I have taken these two sentences from Zhang Xiao Shan second edition page 42.

Ziah4 ciu2 bung1 gi1 do1 lêh8 dioh4  隻手分支刀𠠝著|只手分支刀[]

The hand has been cut by a knife.

手讓刀給割破了|手让刀给割破了

We Teochew love our measure words. For example, for hands, legs, animals, including cars, we use the measure word ziah4.  I was taught to use dêng2  for cars but language changes!

We also very often begin a sentence with a measure word as well. 

The other item in the sentence is do1 as in knife and its measure word is gi1. 

Bung1 or kih4  are passive voices and it does not indicate who cut whom and I remember how much difficulties I had with this Chinese grammar when I first started learning Teochew. In ZXS example, he uses kih4 instead of bung1 which is what people from Swatow say. I just want to be different today and show how people from Teochew would say bung1.  

lêh8 is our own word which means to cut and there is no encoded simplified character or at least I have not been able to find it. 

If you were to study the sentence structure of Mandarin vs Teochew - you should be able to see the differences between these two Chinese languages. 

The only similarity I can see is that both Mandarin and Teochew have passive indicators and in Mandarin it is gei3 


No comments: