Saturday 5 March 2022

燒汁雞扒

I saw this video this morning and I made a comment and the comment has been removed by YouTube, because we have freedom of speech in the UK.  I wrote Iab Hui's 業飛 first sentence of the video which is 今日來分享一個非常好配飯個燒汁雞扒。Iab Hui said, "Come and share with others a chicken cutlet with sauce which is very good eaten with rice, today."

sio1zab4 燒汁|烧汁

sauce made from cooking or roasting, brown sauce, gravy

烤醬|烤酱

goi1bê5 雞扒|鸡扒

chicken cutlet

ji1pai2 雞排|鸡排



In that comment, I also shared the character of lêh8 𠠝 which Iab Hui went on to use and it means to cut. I bet you have never seen this lêh8's character. You will not find it in your Chinese dictionary for it is a Teochew word! 

Notice a couple of things. Goi1tui2 雞腿 is the drumstick and thigh together. Secondly the measure word for goi1tui2 雞腿 is ziah4 隻|只

Do watch the short video and if you any questions, please ask. 

================

I have noticed that gaginang from Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore are reading my blog. 

Welcome! If you have any question please ask. 

I am a Teochew and my hometown is in Swatow. I love Teochew culture, language and food. 

English is my master language to coin Mr Lee Senior's [Lee Kuan Yew] phrase. Like Mr Lee Senior, I learn Chinese as an adult but I am now able to understand Teochew videos from Swatow and Teochew. 

I write this blog to help English speaking Teochew people to learn our mother tongue [bho'ghe 母語] and you are most welcome to ask any question you want. If I do not know, I will say so and if I know, I will share with you what I know. 

No comments: