Saturday, 23 April 2022

Interesting Teochew Phrases IV Part A

I think when I give vast number of Teochew words, it could be a bit challenging for some people. I think a little a time is best. I have therefore like to just explore one sentence which this grandfather said at 0:48 of this video. 

There are a number of cu3bhi7 Teochew Uê7 趣味潮州話 which have been used by the grandfather.  

Ua2 zi2 gui2rig8 do6 ming5ceng5 dêng2 ug8dioh4 gang1kou2si2 co2liag8 oi6 ki2lai5 huan1 dian7dioh8 ding2dang6 zêg8ê7.

我衹幾日在眠牀頂夗著艱苦死草略會起來還定著一下。|我只几日在眠床顶夗着艰苦死草略会起来还定着一下。

I have been sleeping on a bed these few days (and I) have been very worried, (and I) can briefly get up still have to move about for a little while.

To help learners of Teochew, I have broken down each part of the sentence and translate each word or phrase to help you understand the whole sentence. 

ua2 我

I

我

zi2 gui2rig8 衹幾日|只几日

these several days

這幾天|这几天

do6 在

to be located at a place

在

ming5ceng5 眠牀|眠床

bed

chuang2 床

ming5ceng5 dêng2 眠牀頂|眠床顶

on a bed

床上

ug8dioh4 夗著|夗着

sleep

睡著|睡着

gang1kou2si2 艱苦死|艰苦死

too anxious, too worried

too hard, too difficult, too arduous

太著急|太着急

太艱苦|太艰苦

co2liag8 草略

slightly, briefly

jian3lüe4 簡略|简略

There are many meanings to co2liag8 and this is only one use of co2liag8.

oi6 ki2lai5 會起來|会起来

can get up

可以起來|可以起来

huan1 還|还

still

還|还

dian7dioh8 定著|定着

have to, surely, certainly, necessary, must

yi1ding4 一定

ding2dang6 振動|振动

林伦伦

moves

dong4動|动

ding2dang6 振動|振动

to move about

zou3dong4 走動|走动

zêg8ê7 一下

for a little while

liang3xia4 兩下|两下

NOTE: In this drama series, the grandfather speaks with a Teochew City accent, the grandmother, A'Ka and A'Hog all speak with a Swatow accent. However, somewhere in the video, the grandfather said hêng7zai6 現在 instead of hing7zai6 現在 and this shows that our people do mix their accents. 


I have noticed from the statistics that people from China are viewing this blog. I have therefore included simplified characters in this post so our people in our homeland can follow what I have written. Just a note: some of our Teochew characters are only in full form [traditional] characters. 
Teochew means 潮汕 for most of the time and like Professor Lim Lung Lung, I use the word Teochew because I am so proud of our over thousand years heritage. Teochew is also an English word, listed in the Oxford Dictionary and so is Swatow 汕头. 


No comments: