Monday, 25 April 2022

dig4 得

I find the use of this character 得 rather difficult when translated from Mandarin.  In Teochew, it is said as dig4. We sometimes omit and sometimes substitute with another character when translating from Mandarin to Teochew.  

I have therefore decided to do a revision on this character and I thought you may want to see my study notes. 

oi6dig4guê3會得過|会得过

able to get by in life

guo4de2qu4 過得去|过得去

bhoi6dig4guê3 𠁞得過|𠀾得过

 

unable to make it through, having a difficult time

guo4bu5qu4 過不去|过不去

 

m6dig4guê3 唔得過|唔得过

unable to make it through, having a difficult time

guo4bu5qu4 過不去|过不去

 

zo3dig4ho2做得好

good job, has been done well

Zuo4de2hao3 做得好

I1 long2 oi6 zo3 dig4 guê3 ho2 伊攏會做得怪好|伊拢会做得怪好

He will do it all very well.

ta1 dou1 hui4 zuo4 de2 hen2 hao3 他​都​會​做​得​很​好。

 

dig4sig4 得失

Not enough respect towards people or injure people’s feelings

因對人不夠尊重等而傷人感情|因对人不够尊重等而伤人感情

dig4sig4 nang5 gai7 se7 mo2 zo3 得失人個事孬做|得失人个事孬做

Must not do things which are disrespectful towards others or hurting other people’s feelings.

ho2dig4 好得

fortunately, luckily

xing4kui1 幸虧|幸亏

kui1de5 虧得|亏得

hao3zai4 好在

ho2zai6 好在

fortunately, luckily

xing4kui1 幸虧|幸亏

kui1de5 虧得|亏得

hao3zai4 好在

ho2dig4 le2 lai5 ua2 zian3 bhoi6 keh4 i1 pah4

 

 

好得汝來我正𠁞乞伊拍|好得汝来我正𠀾乞伊拍

Fortunately, you came, only then (I) would not be beaten by him.

好在你來了我才沒挨打|好在你来了我才没挨打

bhoi6dig4 (dioh4) 𠁞得著|𠀾得着

to be eager for, to long for, to look forward to

ba1bu5de5 巴不得

bhoi6dig4(dioh4) le2 mên2 lai5

 

 

𠁞得(著)汝猛來|𠀾得(着)汝猛来

Eager for you to come quickly.

巴不得你快點兒來|巴不得你快点儿来

 

dioh8 著|着

have to, must, ought to, need to

dei3 得

dioh8 著|着

must have

dei3 you3 得有

nang5 dioh8 sing3ngiang2 

人著信仰|人着信仰

men have to have a belief in a religion, in a firm belief or have convictions

人得有信仰

nang5 gong3hong6 dioh8 zêg8ion7 gai7 sing3ngiang2 俺供奉著一樣個信仰。|俺供奉着一样个信仰。

Our enshrinement and worship have to be for one type of religion.

我們供奉得有一樣的信仰

我们供奉得有一样的信仰

The above two entries are lines from Teochew songs and these lines do not have any bearings on my beliefs.

no6 nang5 sên1sêng5 dioh8 zo3 ang1zia2  二人生成著做翁姐|二人生成着做翁姐

(These) two persons ought to naturally become husband and wife.

兩人天生得做夫妻| 两人天生得做夫妻

no6 nang5 二人

two persons

兩人|两人

sên1sêng5 生成

natural

天生

dioh8 著|着

ought to

得

zo3 做

become

做

ang1zia2 翁姐

husband and wife

夫妻

 

The dictionary says for the de5 below, we, Teochew people, would replace it with lai5 來 or gao3 到 but I am baffled to know how to translate to Teochew using lai5 or gao3 because I would use guê3 instead for the two examples below.

For Mandarin: 得很 to be placed after an adjective to indicate very

de5hen3 得很

guê3 pang1 怪芳

very appetising

香得很

zao2 guê3 mên2 走怪猛

run very fast

跑得快

I have taken the entries below from my study notes.

lai5 來|来

structural particle: used after a verb

de5 得

sên1lai5 生來|生来

appearance, looks, features

zhang3de5 長得|长得

gao3 到

structural particle: used after a verb

de5 得

zo3gao3 做到

can do, to be worth doing

zuo4de5 做得

ziah4 ce5ngiao1 zo3gao3 guê3 soi3sio2 隻瓷貓做到怪細小。|只瓷猫做到怪细小。

This porcelain cat has been made really exquisitely.

這瓷貓做得真細巧。|这瓷猫做得真细巧。

 

I thought I break down the above sentence, so it is easier for any reader to understand the sentence structure.

ziah4 隻|只

this

這|这

ce5ngiao1 瓷貓|瓷猫

porcelain cat

瓷貓|瓷猫

zo3gao3 做到

has been made

做得

guê3 怪

really

真

soi3sio2 細小|细小

exquisite

細巧|细巧

 

bho5biang3 deng2無變轉|无变转

unable to go home

hui2 bu4de2 回不得

m6gam1 ziah8 唔甘食

begrudge eating

she3bu5de5 chi1 捨不得吃|舍不得吃

 

 

No comments: