Thursday 7 April 2022

money lui1

 I so happened to browse Zhang Xiao Shan's dictionary and on page 762 [second edition], I saw what he has to say about lui1. I therefore made notes so I could share with you. He did not indicate that lui1 is a foreign word or else those Teochew historical dramas would not have used the word lui1. 

As I have written before, I do not believe lui1 has anything to do with duit which is money in Malay 聲音差遠 ! I wrote in Mandarin that the sounds are very different [i.e. between lui1 and duit]

lui1鐳|镭

ancient Chinese copper coins

tong2qian2 銅錢铜钱

lui1鐳|镭

coin

ying4bi4 硬幣硬币

hao5 has the same meaning as gag4 and in Mandarin is mao2 which is one tenth of a dollar or Yuan

gai5 lui1 no6 gag4  個鐳二角。|个镭二角。

This coin is (worth) 20 cents.

這硬幣是兩毛錢的。|这硬币是两毛钱的。

gai5 lui1 no6 hao5  個鐳二毫。|个镭二毫。

This coin is (worth) 20 cents.

這硬幣是兩毛錢的。|这硬币是两毛钱的。


No comments: