Thursday 21 April 2022

Learning Kungfu

Learning martial arts is said in Teochew as oh8 gang1hu1 學功夫 which is the title of the video.

I was watching this video this morning and there were problems with a couple of the sentences at the beginning of the video.

I have written out notes of what I have thought of the the couple of sentences at the beginning of the video. Let me share with you what I have written.

Tion2dioh4 huan1si6 oh8 no6 bou7 gang1kuê3 睇著還是學二步功課

Mandarin: 看對還是得學點本事

There are various ways to say "skill" in Teochew.

a)   bung2se7 本事

b)   dao6hêng6 道行

c)   gang1hu1 功夫

and the question is why did he say gang1kuê3 功課 which does not mean skill but work, or task or assignment?

I think he should have said: Tion2dioh4 huan1si6 dioh8 oh8 no6 bou7 gang1hu1 睇著還是著學二步功夫 and the Mandarin translation would be 看起來還是得學一點兒本事

English: Have to learn a little skill [as in martial arts capability]


A7bho5 du2dioh4 nang7 ain3 pah4 ua2 啊無著儂慾拍

Mandarin 不然遇到別人打 [they have used the wrong da character in the subtitles]

Next question here is pertains to the difference between ngo6dioh4 遇著 and du2dioh4

I remember my Teochew language teacher requiring me to memorise this: ngo6dioh4 nang5; du2dioh4 se7 遇著人著事 – both ngo6dioh4 and do2dioh4 mean to meet up with but ngo6dioh4 pertains to meeting up with humans and du2dioh4 pertains to meeting up with events or situations. He said far too many people made this mistake and use ngo6dioh4 and du2dioh4 incorrectly.

I think the guy in the video should have said: A7bho5 ngo6dioh4 nang7 ain3 pah4 ua2 啊無遇著儂慾拍 and the Mandarin translation should be 不然遇到別人要打我

Or else meet up with other people who want to hit me

Ua2 dui3 m6 duê3 我對唔綴

Mandarin 我都沒辦法了

I think he should have said du2m6duê3 堵唔綴|堵唔缀 to mean unable to [resist in this case].

i.e., Ua2 du2m6duê3 堵唔綴  which means I am unable to resist.


Do let me know what you think about what I have written. Thanks. 


No comments: