Saturday 11 June 2022

unreasonable, shocking, outrageous

I was watching Queen Dugu 獨孤皇后|独孤皇后 and I heard the Mandarin phrase 不像話 been used. I then thought how we would say this expression in Teochew.

 I remember people saying m6riang5nang5 m6riang5gui2; and it can be said as m6siao6nang5 and it means unreasonable, shocking, outrageous.

 I looked up Mogher and I found m6riang5 ga1gi7 gai7 zêng2zag8 listed. I know this character as zog8 and I looked up Lim Lung Lung’s dictionary and the dictionary listed as zog8 or zag8.

 Mogher uses this m6 and I have noticed the Hokkien people in Taiwan use this character and Lim Lung Lung lists this character as bho5.

 This character has FOUR pronunciations.

zêng2 - species, race, type

zêng3 – to plant

Cong1 – surname

Zong2 – as in Mang5zong2 芒種 the 9th of the 24 solar terms which is happening around this period [6th to 20th June].

 . . . and finally, there is so much talk about genocide and “genocide” is said in Teochew as “mig8zoh8zêng2zag8

You must have heard some Teochew people saying “cuang5gê1si2zoh8” and it is the same zoh8 and this zoh8 has another meaning in Teochew and it means extremely.

Vocabulary List

Mandarin’s

不像話

unreasonable, shocking, outrageous

zêng2zag8

種族|种族

ethnic group or race

ho2 zêng2 ho2 zag8

好種好族|好种好族

good ethnic group

m6riang5nang5 m6riang5gui2

唔然人唔然鬼

outrageous, shocking behaviour

m6siao6nang5

唔肖人

outrageous, shocking behaviour

m6riang5 ga1gi7 gai7 zêng2zag8

唔然家己個種族

not like our own ethnic group

mig8zoh8zêng2zag8

滅絕種族|灭绝种族

Genocide

cuang5gê1si2zoh8

全家死絕|全家死绝

whole family dead

zoh8

絕|绝

extremely, exceedingly

ngia2zoh8

雅絕|雅绝

extremely beautiful

ho2zoh8

好絕|好绝

extremely good, exceedingly good

  


No comments: