Sunday 26 June 2022

Bad ladies

I wonder if you have heard these derisory terms of abuse before. I heard in a video recently, a person calling another person cao3log8 臭録|臭录 and cao3 means smelly and log8 means to be lacking, to fall short of, deficient and the dictionary explains that these terms describe bad ladies as in the Mandarin 壞女人坏女人 and we say 壞女人坏女人 in Teochew as mo2 ze1nion5 姿娘。

cam2log8

録|

derisory terms use for scolding people: not to be used in polite conversations

cao3log8

臭録|臭录

hiao5log8

録|

suê1log8

衰録|衰录

When I was young, I often heard people using the term hiao5log8 and I never knew the meaning of  hiao5log8.

I have heard of cam2log8 and cao3log8 while watching Teochew videos. I was sad that the subtitles did not translate the meaning of these terms. 

Zhang Xiao Shan's second edition dictionary, page 468, lists cao3log8 and suê1log8 and describe these as bad women. 


Do you know of equivalent terms to describe bad men? 

No comments: