Wednesday 22 June 2022

to have a quarrel

I watch Teochew videos everyday and stop to find out the Teochew characters for the words used. For example, in this video and Hung’guah Sim was using this term dao1a3 and I was wondering what dao1 character would I use. 

I saw in Lim Lung Lung’s dictionary that dao1 means to slap someone across the face and I therefore drew a conclusion that dao1a3 could be written as 㨮詏。

As for the a3 character, I know sio1a3 is written as 相詏 and therefore the a3 character must be 詏。

I think the only way to improve one’s command of our mother tongue is to constantly listening to native speakers talk.

I also know the actress who plays Hung’guah Sim in the series of videos loves our mother tongue and Teochew culture. BTW hung'guah means arrowroot! 

Word List

sio1a3

相詏

to have a quarrel, quarrel

dao1a3

㨮詏

to have a quarrel, quarrel

hung2guah4

粉葛

arrowroot

 


No comments: