Monday 11 July 2022

Ziao’cui Sim and Huang’guah Sim using the word gong!

Let us listen to Ziao’cui Sim’s and Huang’guah Sim’sconversation where they both use the word gong.

There are two gongs which we Teochew people use – gong3 as stupid and gong5 as confuse and of course they are talking about the latter gong5.

I have checked my study notes and I am just as gong as Ri’muê and A’Hang and got confused between these two gong3 / gong5! I have sorted out my study notes and I can share with you the characters of these gong.

gong3

戇|戆

To mean stupid

For example: ca5gong3 柴戇|柴戆 and gong3dêng1 戇丁|戆丁

gong5

To mean confuse

For example: gong5gong5 愩愩

However, we also say tao5gong, to mean feeling dizzy – and which gong character do we use? The second gong!

ANSWER: tao5gong5 頭愩|头愩

We have a couple of Teochew expressions pertaining to gong5.

gong5 guê3 ziah4 ah4 愩過隻鴨|愩过只鸭

More confuse than a duck!

gong5 guê3 zui2 mang2 愩過水蠓|愩过水蠓

More confused than a mosquito!

There is no such thing as a water mosquito and midges are called ou1bhung1 烏蚊

 Huang'guah Sim said, which I think is very interesting that I have recorded in my study notes. 

ca5 guê3 hou5zio1 gong2 柴過胡椒㼦|柴过胡椒㼦

to one's surprise not aware of

居然不知道

ca5 normally means stupid, not knowing 

hou5zio1 gong2 is pepper shaker or pepper pots 

Both these ladies use the term "goi1ci6 gê3  街市價|街市价" and this means market price


No comments: