Friday 8 July 2022

Bird from the same forest

I think most people who visit the blog know that I was not schooled in Chinese and I taught myself to read and write in Chinese. 

I have to improve my Mandarin because all the learning resources for Teochew are Mandarin controlled. 

I therefore watch Mandarin dramas to help me improve my Chinese. I watch this drama in which this ugly fat daughter was made to marry the Emperor. The actress is really very talented and I find her very funny and I choose to watch this drama is because of this ugly Empress. 

She sings the theme song for the drama and the title means birds from the same forest and in Teochew it is read as dang lim ziao and I have written out the lyrics and made amendments to one word. [dang means the same, lim means forest, ziao means bird]

I think it is a lot easier to learn Mandarin than Teochew and if Teochew was not my mother tongue, I would never have been able to learn this very difficult language. 

Let us have a break from learning Teochew and listen to song, and sing along using the lyrics below so you can get use to Chinese traditional characters. 


同林鳥 

 

偌大的林子裡面找啊找 (if you were to) search a huge forest

找長廝守的吵吵鬧鬧 finding always staying together noisily

世俗說夫妻本是同林鳥  the world says husband and wife are birds from the same forest

大難臨頭會各自飛了 disaster looming they will fly away on their own

我飛過宮牆只羨桃花枝頭雙雙笑  I have flown over the palace wall only to envy pairs of branches of peach blossom laughing

我飛過人間看儘多少方知你的好  I have flown over the human world seeing the greatest extent somewhat only realise your goodness

你飛我相隨  You fly (and) I tag along

不飛也作比翼鳥 don’t fly also be a winged bird

雙雙飛呀飛做一雙同林鳥  flying as a pair becoming a pair of birds from the same forest

比鴛鴦比矜貴  comparing with Mandarin ducks (and) noble men

修百嵗雙雙對心也醉也唉 cultivate as a pair until a hundred years old congenially is drunk

比翼飛呀飛好一雙同林鳥  flying wing to wing good a pair of birds from the same forest

大難也春大美  spring is beautiful even in great disasters

你不飛我不飛不分飛  You do not fly, I do not fly, (but) not flying separately 

 

偌大的林子裡面找啊找

找長廝守的吵吵鬧鬧

世俗說夫妻本是同林鳥

大難臨頭會各自飛了

我飛過宮牆只羨桃花枝頭雙雙笑

我飛過人間看儘多少方知你的好

你飛我相隨

不飛也作比翼鳥

雙雙飛呀飛做一雙同林鳥

比鴛鴦比矜貴

修百嵗雙雙對心也醉也唉

比翼飛呀飛好一雙同林鳥

大難也春大美

你不飛我不飛不

雙雙飛呀飛做一雙同林鳥

比鴛鴦比矜貴

修百嵗雙雙對心也醉也唉

比翼飛呀飛好一雙同林鳥

大難也春大美

你不飛我不飛不 



No comments: