Friday 30 September 2022

translation exercise

I heard this sentence said in a drama recently, “就你那個娘什麼事她幹不出來” and I thought this is a good exercise for you to translate into Teochew Uê.

就你那個娘什麼事她幹不出來 – concerning that mother of yours, what is it that she is unable to do?  Do note that this is a pejorative statement about the mother of that character.

The table below could help you if you were to translate these words one by one and then join them up together to form a statement.

jiu4

concerning

 

ni3

you, yours

 

na4ge5 那個

that

 

niang2

mother

 

shen2me5shi4 什麼事|什么事

what

 

shi4

matter, work, thing

 

ta1

she

 

gan4 幹|干

to do, to work

 

bu4

not, no – a negative prefix

 

chu5lai5 出來

use after a verb to indicate an action has been completed

 

 


I would have said: ziu6 nia2 ai5 mih4gai5 ia7 oi6 zo3 cug5lai5 就乃𡟓乜個也會做出來

Note: there is no character for nia2 as in yours and I have seen people write nia2 as

No comments: