Friday 23 September 2022

o5luah4 蠔烙 vs ziang1o5 煎蠔

I remember when I was a child, I heard my mother talked about food items oozing out water and she used the term “cug4zui2 出水” which Iab Hui 葉飛 also used in the video.

However, in this video Iab Hui 葉飛 uses a term sia3ziu2 瀉水|泻水 to describe oysters oozing out water. The Mandarin subtitles write 泄水 to mean oozing out water.

Another thing is that in this video he explains the difference between o5luah4 蠔烙 and ziang1o5 煎蠔。

I know the Teochew equivalents of the Mandarin word li4gan1 瀝乾|沥干 as in "drain dry" as

A] dih4da1 滴灱

B] dên3da1 滯灱|滞灱

and today I have learnt another word dab4 da1 da1 溚灱灱 to mean “to drip until very dry”.

Iab Hui uses a Chinese term kiao3mung5 竅門|窍门 to mean "an ingenious trick, method, know-how" and if you were to browse your Teochew dictionaries, we Teochew people can say kiao3 竅|窍 without the mung5.

You may want to listen to the video and learn a few more Teochew words.



No comments: