Friday 25 February 2022

iaoh4guê3lai5 躍過來|跃过来

I have just learnt a new Teochew expression. 

YouTube sent me this video and at around 1:09 the little lad said iaoh4 guê3 lai5 and I could see the subtitles written in Mandarin as 翻過來 which means to turn over, to flip over, to over turn etc but in this case of iaoh4guê3lai5 躍過來 it means to flip over. 

iaoh4guê3lai5

躍過來|跃过来

to flip over

fan1guo4lai2

翻過來翻过来


I first learnt of this character 躍 as iag4 which means to jump in a song.

I have learnt another usage of this character 躍 said as iaoh4 today. 

Please listen to the video and hear the little lad saying iaoh4guê3lai5 to mean to flip over. 

In the video, the little lad also said goih4 ia5 zi2 nêg8 ia7 gah8 i1 dan6 loh8 ke3  夹椰子肉也合伊擲落去| 夹椰子肉也合伊掷落去 - and I wonder why he did not say liu2 as to scoop up the flesh of the young coconut. [BTW: dan6 means to throw]





No comments: