Monday 28 February 2022

Asking Questions

I was watching this video and I wanted to ask if the green chillies were hot.

[Note: in the US chilli hot is said as spicy - but in other English speaking countries spicy means there are lots of spices and not necessary chilli hot.]

So how can I ask the question if the green chillies were hot or not?

suan3zio1 oi6 hiam1 a1 bhoi6 綫椒會薟𠁞

because I started with oi6 and I have to finish with bhoi6 because these two are siang1dui3 相對

if I were to start with u6 有 then I need to finish with bho5 

for example, le2 u6 tion2 dioh4 ziah4 gao2 bho5 汝有睇著隻狗無
Have you seen the dog? 

Another question expression is: u6 a1 bho5 有阿無 and the Mandarin equivalent is 有沒有
If I were to ask ning2 u6 a1 bho5 有阿無 - do you all have it or not?

There is another pair ain3 mai3 欲勿 and can also be said as ain3 a1 mai3 欲勿 and the Mandarin equivalent is 要不要

Some one will give you something and ask ain3 a1 mai3 which means do you want it?

Another is si6 a1 mi6  是阿[不/是] which has the same meaning as 是不是 in Mandarin. 

So when you are learning Teochew, always make note of the opposite which is said as siang1dui3 相對 and learn these off by hard. 

No comments: