Monday 21 February 2022

Dang1hung1 冬粉 Hung2ciam1 粉纖|粉纤

You may know of mung bean vermicelli, cellophane noodles or glass noodles but more importantly, do you know what this is called in Teochew?  

In Mandarin it is called fen3si1 粉絲 and I have heard my Cantonese friend calling it fan2 si1 粉絲 and I have discovered there are lots of name for this noodles.   

I call it dang1hung1 冬粉 but do you know it has a very ancient name which is called hung2ciam1 粉纖粉纤 and I heard Iab Hui 業飛 calling it hung2ciam1 and I accidentality found this word in Zhang Xiao Shan's second edition dictionary today on page 877.

Apparently, on one's birthday, traditionally one would have such a dish which is called hung2ciam1 neng6 粉纖卵|粉纤卵 and it is a soup dish made out of this vermicelli noodles with two eggs and other ingredients. Click on the link and you will find Iab Hui telling you about this birthday dish. 

dang1hung1 冬粉

hung2ciam1

粉纖粉纤

mung bean vermicelli, cellophane noodles, bean vermicelli, Chinese vermicelli

dong1fen3 冬粉

fen3si1 粉絲粉丝

豆粉絲|豆粉丝

lêg8dao7hung2 

綠豆粉绿豆粉

dao7hung2 

豆粉豆粉

all of these are names of mung bean vermicelli

 


No comments: