Saturday 19 February 2022

趣味潮汕話 Cu3bhi7 Dio5suan1 Uê7 Interesting Teochew Words 2

趣味潮汕話 Cu3bhi7 Dio5suan1 Uê7 Interesting Teochew Words

I was watching this video [click on link] and I heard the dialogue between these two young lads and I have decided to write down what they say which is shown at the bottom of this post.

The first interesting point is the use of hioh8 葉 and I check with the dictionary and apparently hioh8 can represent 時期 which means a period of time. I thought he said hoh4  and hearing it several times, it was hioh8 which he has said. 

What you need to do is to read what is written below and you will notice how different our Teochew is to Mandarin. 

I was interested in what they have said was because I wanted to learn about siu1sib8 and Mogher wrote that it was said as siu1siab8 which made me open my Teochew dictionary by Zhang Xiao Shan 2nd edition page 201 and indeed it is said as siu1sib8 like what the lad in blue has said.

I try to write out what I hear and in the process learn new Teochew words. This type of micro learning has helped me to also learn Mandarin.

At the end when I translated "teacher will sort (you) out" it means he will be punished. 

siu1sib8 收拾

to pack up, to tidy up, to put in order, to sort someone out

shou1shi5 收拾

zheng3li3 整理

bang3gia2 hioh8 zoi7 rig8

 

 

放假葉㩼日

放假叶㩼日

On holiday for so many days

那麼多天|那么多天

le2 zag4ngiab8 huan1 bhuê7 dig8

 

 

汝作業還未直

汝作业还未直

you have not completed the homework assignment

你作業還沒寫

你作业还没写

a7si6 deng2 hao6 sia2 bhuê7 dig8

 

 

也是轉校寫未直

也是转校写未直

if upon returning to school you have not completed the assignment

要是回校沒寫完

要是回校没写完

dioh4 bung1 lao2se1 siu1sib8

 

 

著分老師收拾

着分老师收拾

teacher will sort (you) out.

得給老師收拾

得给老师收拾

No comments: