Wednesday 7 August 2013

Resources for learning Teochew

It is not easy to buy Teochew dictionaries or study materials.  However, there are a number of on-line sites / blogs which could help you to learn our language.

There is this Learn Teochew blog which I think explains things very well.  I found it accidentally yesterday and it would really help you to get started.

Gaginang forum does not exist anymore. 

Mogher is a site where you can hear the sound of characters in Teochew.

Then there is Omniglot which can help you with your PêngIm - which can be rather difficult if you are not used to HanYu PinYin.  Gaginang too can help with this but they have changed a few of the Gengdang PêngIm 廣東拼音 to suit their American readers. 

There are two particularly good Teochew dictionaries. You can download Lim Lung Lung and Dio Hiao Sang 1st edition dictionaries from Mogher website. 
In Dio Hiao Sang's 2nd edition dictionary, he has disclosed many characters which have not been identified previously such as diam7 etc. 

Did you know I was once a banana - who could not read and write Chinese and I have spent years learning the language and I have a reading age of 5 nowadays. 哈哈

This has afforded me to read new recipes in Chinese, watch Taiwan and Beijing cooking shows, listen / watch our Teochew movies and dramas on-line, go to Chinese supermarkets and buy to try out new ingredients etc.  A new world has been opened up to me.  Just wonderful 過妙

One day - perhaps - my Teochew / Chinese will be as good as my English - God willing!

I therefore wish you well in improving your bhoghe 母語.  

1st April 2022 - I have the second edition of Zhang Xiao Shan's dictionary and you can buy this dictionary from Teochew Store. It is Mandarin controlled, using Simplified Characters. I use this dictionary together with Lin Lun Lun's dictionary on a daily basis. I highly recommend these two dictionaries if you are able to read Chinese. 

No comments: