Wednesday 13 November 2013

reduction

When we cook, we reduce some liquid from sauces etc and when I was studying our language with my  Swatow teacher years ago, most of the learning was oral.  Now that I can read some Chinese, I begin to go back to my old notes and check the characters to make sure the right ones are used.

I was thinking of reduction - giam diao go ziu - and I was thinking how do we write this go?  Could it be ko rather than go?

My old notes had ko2 顆 and I believe it should be 減掉個水 - giam2diao7 go6 zui2 

I was reading my dictionaries and saw 個 could be read as go6 and I therefore went to the Chinese website to hear the sound of  go6 and I am now sure my notes should have been written as 減掉個水 rather than 減掉顆水

It should be said as 減掉一些水 in Mandarin and the literal translation would be "lose some water" = which is "reduction"

Thank you for reading this posting. 



No comments: