Thursday 21 November 2013

hian5

I want to talk about hian5 today. My dictionaries have not agreed on the character and I will therefore present them one by one.

Zhang XiaoShan writes hian5 燃 means zheng1zhu3 蒸煮 - which means cooking by steaming.  There is a word zheng1zhu3 dai4 蒸煮袋 which means a poaching bag.  In fact, I cannot find in my Mandarin dictionaries the meaning of zheng1zhu3 蒸煮 and I only assume it to mean cooking by steaming.

Here are the examples given by ZXS

hian5 guê2 燃粿 - to steam rice cakes
hian5 bung5 燃飯 - to steam rice 
hian5 muê5 燃糜 - to steam congee 

I have seen in historical dramas where they actually put congee in enclosed containers in a steaming baskets to steam.

ZXS also explains muêh8hian5 物燃 as chai2huo5 柴火 which means firewood. 

ZXS also gives other examples of use.  For example, the Mandarin word shao1huo3 燒火, which means to start a fire, could be said as:

hian5 ca5
hian5 cao2 燃草
hian5 suan1mo1 燃山芼 where 山芼 in Mandarin is shan1cao3 山草 a kind of grass founds in hills and mountains

My word dictionary uses a different character for hian煆 as in hian5 huê2 火: It explains hian5 huê2 火 to mean shao1huo3 燒火 : to light a fire.

The example of use given is:

Ua2 ca2 cai3 le2 hian5 huê2.

and in Mandarin it writes 我炒菜你燒火。which means I will fry the vegetables and you will light the fire.

Do you use the word hian5?  If so, how to you use it?


No comments: