Monday 11 November 2013

i1 dui3 hang7gian2 an1 guê3ke3 伊對巷仔揞過去

I have been thinking how to translate 伊對巷仔揞過去, read as i1 dui3 hang7gian2 an1 guê3ke3


guê3ke3 過去 could mean many things, for example
  1. in former times as in the pass or previously
  2. to go over
  3. to pass by
hang7gian巷仔 means alley way [Mandarin xiao3xiang4 小巷]

dui3 對 means from [Mandarin cong2 從]

the problem I have is with an for Zhang XiaoShan explains this new word for me as wei2du3 圍堵 which means to besiege, to surround and block up, block up, shut off 

My other Teochew dictionary writes this as du3se4 堵塞 to block, blockade or to stop

So the sentence is written in Mandarin by ZXS as 他從小巷堵過去

Therefore one of the logical translations I can make is:

"He was been blocked from the alley way previously."

If you think I have translated this incorrectly, please write and comment or write an email to me directly.

No comments: