Monday 11 November 2013

dui3 對

I was reading about an1 揞 which is one of our words listed in Zhang XiaoShan's dictionary.  I looked up Lin LunLun's dictionary and he has not marked it as our own word and explains it to mean "to cover with one's hands".

An example which ZXS gave was 
i1 dui3 hang7gian2 an1 guê3ke3
伊對巷仔揞過去

ZXS actually gave several examples of use and my other Teochew dictionary also gave one example of use.

I was fascinated with the use of dui3  in the above example.

So I looked up ZXS, for I was sure this would be another specific example which we could use dui3. 

ZXS said this dui3 對 is the same as the Mandarin word cong2 從 and chao2 朝

so ZXS gave two examples of use

dui3 he2go3 guê3 對許塊過 - cross over from there - and ZXS explains that it means 從那兒經過 in Mandarin.

the second example of use which ZXS gave was dui3 dong1boin5 gian5 ke3 畔行- walk facing east and he explains in Mandarin as 朝東邊走去

We have looked at two ways dui3 could be used which are specific to our own language, today. 

I hope you find this fascinating

===========

No comments: