Tuesday 10 September 2013

薟椒仔

My Sri Lankan friends cooked for me a meal and one of the ladies mistook a scotch bonnet chilli for a bell pepper and I was reminded of a song I heard sung sometime ago.  I changed one of the words.  They used the word "ah mak" for mother which is a borrowed Malay word to a Chinese word bho2cing1. 

Some Diosua nang puritans will say I am just as bad to borrow a Mandarin word - but Diosua language is also Chinese.

Here goes one stanza of the song

叻沙
咬著薟椒
我父
母親[/]

English translation

Ate laksa [there is a link to explain what is laksa]
bitten into a chilli padi
Ua2bê6 hiam1gao5 - there is no English direct translation for this - the literal translation is: my father, hot monkey [hot as in chilli hot]
hot until (a) mother cannot recognise her children


薟椒


Now in PêngIm

ziah8 lag8sa1
ga6dioh8 hiam1zio1gian2
ua2bê6 hiam1gao5
hiam1 gao3 bho2cing1 bhoi6 dzing7 gian2


You might have heard this song too.  They use the word bhoi6hu1 - which in Mandarin is 不及.  I am trying to find the hu1 character in my dictionaries but to no avail.

Do you know of this hu?




No comments: