Tuesday 3 September 2013

除了

I have been watching a historical drama Zhen Huan biography [of course without English subtitles] and HuanHuan said to her lady in waiting ": 除了你便再也沒有人會對我說這樣的話了。"

I was interested in finding out how we say chule in Diosua Ue.  As you know de5nang5  means to disturb or bother other people.  So how can I use this de5 除 character in another way?

The dictionary says chule in Diosua Ue is de5liao5 除了 and has the same meaning as Mandarin.  For those of you who do not know Mandarin, de5liao5 means besides, apart from, with the exception of etc.  

Then how would you translate what Huanhuan said to her lady in waiting: "除了你便再也沒有人會對我說這樣的話了。"?  The sentence means besides you who else would say this kind of things to me.  

I look forward to seeing how you would translate the above Mandarin sentence into Diosua Ue. 

BTW this is in episode 55 about 11 minutes into the video.



I think the only way we can improve our Diosua Ue is to be good in Mandarin and then think of what is said in Mandarin and then say the same thing in DioSua Ue.  This kind of exercise will help us have a deeper sense of our language.  

No comments: