Thursday 13 August 2015

調 - diao3, diao5, diao7, tiao3, tiao5

I have been studying this character 調  the whole of yesterday, which can take the sounds of diao3, diao5 , diao7, tiao3 and tiao5 depending on use.

One of the words I learnt yesterday with this character 調 was diao5zing1 調真 and it was marked by Zhang XiaoShan as one of our words, which means you cannot go and read it in Mandarin tiao'zhen, thinking people will understand you. There is no such word in Mandarin. 


I would just say zo'liao 做了 and I suppose I can now say diao5zing1!


So Zhang XiaoShan on page 118 of his dictionary [2009 edition] shows how to use this word. He writes:



作業做未調真孬出來

So how do I read this in our Teochew uê.


I would read it as "Zag4ngiab8 bhuê7 zo3 diao5zing1 mo2 cug4lai5."



I have two questions which I want to ask Zhang XiaoShan. 

  1. Why did he write cug'lai instead of cug'ke 出去 ?
  2. Why did he use zag4ngiab8 instead of gang1kuê3 功課 ? I am glad he used zag4ngiab8 as it is a new word which I have learnt.

I suppose he did not write bhuê7 zo'liao and used bhuê7 zo3 diao5zing1 so he could illustrate how to use diao5zing1.

If you are wondering - if he does write all the PêngIm out? No, he does not and he just expects the reader to know how to read Chinese characters in Teochew. So, do not go out there and buy the dictionary and spend £50 thinking Zhang XiaoShan writes out all the PêngIm and you can learn Teochew quickly. Not at all!

I have learnt to read in Teochew because I have spent years reading in our language. 

I think you all know that I am English educated, never attended a single Chinese lesson, and learnt Chinese in London years ago in my 20's. As for Teochew, I have a teacher who taught me over the phone every weekend for 8 months and who lives in E'Meung [Xiamen], China. So, I am a good example of a repented banana! LOL

Going back to Zhang XiaoShan's example, what does 作業做未調真孬出來 mean?

zag'ngiab 作業 means work, assignment as in school work
zo'bhue diao'zing 做未調真 means not completed
mo2 孬 means cannot
cug'lai 出來  come out

all together = (If the) work (is) not completed, (then) cannot come out.

All the words in brackets are added by me to give some sense in English.

Do notice the person who is doing the work is not mentioned in the sentence. 

Do you know of any shortcuts to read 調 as diao3, diao5, diao7, tiao3 or tiao5?  I do not and I have to learn all the words of by hard! 

No comments: