Friday 14 August 2015

Another use of 調

Zhang XiaoShan in his dictionary 新潮汕字典  on page 623 wrote this sentence, which I thought would be interesting to discuss, so I can have some deep learning and we all can benefit together.


口畔呾伊上調

I would read this as Kao2boin5 huang1dan3 i1 ain3 zio n6tiao5.

So, let us unpack this sentence.

First - kao2boin5 is explained as 外邊 in Mandarin and we would normally be saying 外邊 as ghua7boin外畔 in Teochew. Ah-Hog 阿福, the lad who is mentally challenged in Teochew sketches, uses this word ghua7boin外畔 to mean outside as ghua7kao2 外口 .

Zhang XiaoShan uses kao2boin口畔 to mean outside or it could mean other places other than one's home or even boarder regions, depending on use.  So let us take kao2boin口畔 to mean not at one's immediate vicinity. 

Then how about huang1dan呾  ? This is a Teochew word. Another way of saying this is hong1sian1 . Both huang1dan3 and hong1sian1, both our own Teochew words, mean "it is rumoured". 

You already know i1 and ain3 to mean "he" and "want" respectively. 

As for zion6tiao5 上調   - this is a Chinese word and in Mandarin is said as shang4tiao2, which means to increase prices. Could Zhang XiaoShan have used ki2gê3 起價 instead?

So to put all of these together, the above sentence written by Zhang XiaoShan means, "It is rumoured, from elsewhere, he wants to increase prices."

I have written the above, and other posts, in a way in which if you cannot read Chinese characters, you can still follow my discussions. I have this need to help all of us to improve our bho'ghe 母語 - mother tongue. I imagine by now you know about mogher website to help us in improving our bho'ghe language proficiency. 

Zhang XiaoShan uses Simplified characters and I write in Traditional characters because when I first started learning Chinese, everybody suggested I learn Traditional characters and I followed their advice - even friends from China. Once I have learnt traditional characters, it is very easy to learn simplified. Nowadays, I have to know both, as my learning resources are from Taiwan and Swatow. 

Thank you for reading this post. God bless! 


No comments: